Sunday 17 August 2014

The Land of Smiles 2014 - New & Useful details

It is no news that I will at least go to BKK once a year for retail therapy. When I'm feeling down, BKK is the nearest country for a getaway for me. I have explored some new stuffs/places this time round, so I will just write some useful details in this post.

Woke up at 3am in the morning as the flight was at 7am.

OOTD: Top - Hollyhoque, Bottom - Cotton On

Took jetstar this time round and air tix with 25kg luggage back was only $170 per pax which was considered ok. This was my first time getting a data sim card from the airport too. The DTAC counter is located in the arrival hall and I don't think you will miss it with the long queue of visitors at the counter.


Counter where you get the data Sim card

The SIM card cost 299 bhat (S$12) with unlimited data and 100 bhat worth of calls for 7 days, it is enough for me. After purchasing the SIM card, take the escalator one level down where the taxi counters are located at. Tell the staff there which hotel you are heading to, remember to confirm if the drivers charged by meter (If the taxi don't want meter, I will insist all the way till meter is on). The staff will issue you a big piece of paper (remember not to give the big piece of paper to the driver! This is important! The driver will only hold on to the small piece of paper given to him). I don't recommend the airport link because sometimes you need to carry the luggage and walk a distance to the hotel (when you know the streets in BKK can get very crowded). Taxi to pratunam area from the airport is around less than 300 bhat (which is considered cheap as compared to Singapore).

I chose the Novotel Platinum again this time round, this is one of my favorite hotel at the moment. Being an ACCOR member, you get promotions at times and I only pay around S$50 per pax per night for this hotel room (this includes the hotel breakfast too!). I'm also a IHG member so I will try to stay at Novotel group, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaza overseas so that I get to earn points and there are always promotions at times too.

I'm surprise the hotel allowed us to check in at 10am this time round, one plus point to their service!


Oh ya, I bought a pandora at Changi Airport - this was an advance birthday gift from Mummy. :) Pandora at Changi airport is slightly cheaper than those in town. 

We were famished by then, so we prepared and head out to my Soi 19 Wanton Mee. It's a must to go try the wanton mee in BKK, I now then realised the noodle is coated with Pork lard that's why it tasted so nice!



The normal portion which is quite small cost 50 bhat (S$2). I always like to add in lots of chilli which blended well with the noodles. This wontan mee is located at the lane next to Shibuya Mall opposite Platinum mall.

There's also A&W at Pantip Plaza which is not far from Platinum mall. I missed A&W! :( I want to recommend the waffle-to-go (which is cut waffles in a cup with ice cream), it is simply delicious and sadly to say, only BKK has it. I did not see the waffles in cup in Malaysia or Indonesia. 


How can we miss out Root Beer Float?

Next up will be the famous Som Tam Nua at Siam Area Soi 5 - the chicken wings is da bomb! 


Pork Belly which taste awesome!

Chicken Wings

Salad with Salted egg is unique too

Be prepared for queue if you are going during dinner time. 




Som Tam Nua
392/14 Soi Siam Square 5
Rama 1 Road
Bangkok Thailand
Tel: 02-251-4880
Opening hours: 10am-10pm



I'm recommending a new dessert cafe too - After You Dessert Cafe. They have a few branches in Bangkok and I went to the one located on 7th level of Central World.  I guess the staffs saw we were not locals so they gave the 2 of us a super spacious seat area for 6 althought the cafe was not full!

Entrance of After You Dessert Cafe














I brought my selfie stick with me for this trip so we still managed to capture some "wefies". I must said the cappuccino and the Shibuya Honey toast tasted really good! The toast is crispy and it goes well with the ice cream. We actually had this to replace dinner as we wanted to make good use of time for shopping. :) 

 
Another good place to shop is the Big C Supermarket which I love it! The supermarket has got pretz and pocky in different flavours such as Tom Yam, Banana Chocolate which could not be found in Singapore. This is also my favourite place to buy loads of Tom Yum Instant Noodles back to Singapore. 

Next will be the fast food restaurant in BKK. The Mcdonald do serve porridge in the morning, and I love their Pork Porridge alot too. We also met an old man here who claimed to be a Singaporean and his wallet got pickpocket so he asked if it's convenient to lend him some money. Well, though I feel pity for him, but since we are in BKK, we cannot totally trust him so we said it's not convenient. He can go to the Singapore Embassy in BKK for assistance if he needs money. 

There's also Samurai Pork burger too, one of the must eat in BKK. Because we don't have that in Singapore! ;) 




There was one morning where we woke up at 5am because there will be stalls set up near Baiyoke Sky Hotel early in the morning till around 8am. I heard that it will be very very cheap, but it doesn't seem so to me. 



The last thing worth mentioning is the Burger King at the airport. Do you know you can replace the beef patty to pork patty? The pork patty is much more flavorful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment