Friday 3 July 2015

Cafes in Toa Payoh Estate - Shrove Tuesday

Nah Nah ... It's not any Tuesday, but the name of a cafe! What a funny name right? But it really serves the purpose for one to remember it. How I came across this cafe, is because they followed me on instagram for quite long and I have been wanting to go try it when I can. 

I finally got the chance to try one Saturday when I was feeling bored at home and the sister would be knocking off from her part-time job around noon time at Toa Payoh area. I texted her to meet her at TPY Lorong 4 bus stop as it is just a short walking distance to this cafe. 

The bus stop does not stop directly near the block, there's a little walking distance and I was a little tired that day so was feeling kind of grouchy when walking towards the cafe. As I walked, I noticed there are many hidden gems (makan places) within that estate, some new stuff to try next time. 

The block is quite long and I have to make a turn before I found it! It was a very small cafe in an old estate, there are more cafes opening in old estate (usually more old people) but youngsters will really make an effort just to go cafe-hopping! (Yep, I'm one of them but I'm cutting down now, only limit myself to once or twice a month. That's what I promise the bf, as we are starting a joint-saving now so most money will go in there for our house/renovation/furniture). [Goodbye coffee, cafes ~~~~ Sob Sob Sob :'( ]

Exterior of the cafe
The first thing I did when I entered was proceed to the cakes display area - the rainbow cake caught my eyes. Then it was the gelato - plenty of unique flavour. I was at a loss on what cakes to try but I still decided on rainbow cheesecake. The sister wanted a waffle and we both agreed on Chocolate mint gelato which was our favourite. How can I miss out the Cappuccino ($4.50)? 



I can't remember the cost of the rainbow cheesecake already, I think around $8?

Waffle with Mint Chocolate Gelato $7.50


It was my first time trying rainbow cheesecake, I was hoping it does not taste of coloring. (",)  As I took the first bite, I was surprised and immediately told my sister it was so nice! I could taste the strawberry flavour, yam etc. I fell in love with it instantly. ^^ It goes well with the cappuccino. I also tried the waffle - it was crispy on the outside yet airy inside, feeling light, lack of a little butter taste but it was quite nice overall. I only had a few mouthful and the sister finished almost whole of the waffle. I can see that she liked it. :) 

I finally fulfilled the wish of exploring this cafe! A tick off  my cafe-hopping list...

I have tried another rainbow cheesecake recently from another cafe and I was so disappointed with it. I think the cake's color was done by artificial coloring which I'm not very sure? When I took the first bite, it was too cheesy and thick that I found it difficult to finish. I had 2 mouthfuls and threw the rest away. I think rainbow cheesecake require some skills to make it successful, maybe not too much artificial coloring? 






I think there's NO service charge and GST at Shrove Tuesday too.




Blk 94 Toa Payoh Lorong 4
#01-32
Singapore 310094
Tel: 6258 2254
Sun-Thur: 12pm-10pm
Fri & Sat: 12pm-11pm
Closed on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment